US tells South Sudan warring leaders to set date
United Nations: The United States has pressed South Sudan`s warring leaders to set a date for face-to-face talks, urging the UN Security Council to consider sanctions to stop attacks on civilians.
Secretary of State John Kerry yesterday said during a visit to South Sudan that President Salva Kiir and rebel commander Riek Machar were both committed to holding direct talks.
"Salva Kiir has said he will meet directly with former vice president Machar," US ambassador Samantha Power told UN Security Council talks on the four-month-old conflict.
"We heard many promises from South Sudanese leaders before without follow-up... We hope for the sake of the people of South Sudan that this time it is different," she added.
"We urge President Kiir and former vice president Machar to swiftly agree on a date for face-to-face talks."
Last month, President Barack Obama authorised punitive sanctions, including the seizure of assets and visa bans, against anyone in South Sudan deemed to be threatening peace efforts.
Power said the United Nations should also consider sanctions.
"This council should consider urgently whether to put in place parallel targeted sanctions so as to try to deter outrageous attacks on civilians," she said.
The conflict started on December 15 with Kiir accusing Machar of attempting a coup. Machar launched a rebellion, insisting that Kiir had attempted to carry out a bloody purge of his rivals.
The war has seen the world`s youngest nation collapse into a cycle of war crimes by both sides, including ethnic massacres, rape and child soldier recruitment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why