US to analyse Nobel laureate Neruda’s remains to resolve ‘poisoning’ mystery
Washington: Investigators from the United States will analyse bone remains of Chilean Nobel literature laureate Pablo Neruda to resolve a four-decade mystery about his death.
Neruda`s body was exhumed this week in an effort to discover if he died from prostate cancer as was recorded, or if he was poisoned by agents of General Augusto Pinochet`s bloody dictatorship, as his driver and others believe, Fox News reports.
Stating that some of the poet’s remains will be examined at a laboratory at the University of North Carolina medical school, one of Neruda’s nephews Rodolfo Reyes said that he hoped that the examination is detailed and removes all doubts about the way Neruda died.
According to the report, Chile`s Communist Party had requested for the disinterment of Neruda’s remains as the poet was also a leftist politician and would have been a strong voice in exile against Pinochet`s regime.
The report further said that Neruda was suffering from prostate cancer when he died 12 days after the coup that led his close friend, socialist President Salvador Allende, to kill himself rather than surrender to Pinochet`s troops attacking the presidential palace.
For years, Neruda`s driver and aide said dictatorship agents injected poison into Neruda`s stomach while he was bedridden at the Santa Maria clinic in Santiago, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried