US to continue drone strikes in Pakistan: Panetta
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has said the US will continue to launch drone strikes against militant sanctuaries in Pakistan even if the country’s government keeps opposing them.
‘‘The United States was attacked on 9/11, and we know who attacked us,```` Panetta said in a television interview. ‘‘We know that al Qaeda was behind it and we are going to do everything we can, use whatever operations we have to, in order to make sure that we protect this country and make sure that that kind of attack never happens again,```` he said.
“The United States is going to defend itself under any circumstances,`` Panetta added.
Drone attacks against sanctuaries of the Taliban and other militant groups in Pakistan are carried out by the Central Intelligence Agency, which Panetta previously headed.
Pakistani officials have opposed the strikes, saying they violate their nation`s sovereignty.
The attacks are part of the Obama administration`s effort to stabilise neighbouring Afghanistan, which Panetta said is on the path toward stability, reports Gulf News.
The country`s military and police forces last year ‘‘were operational, they were involved in the battle and they`ve continued to do a great job in providing security,`` Panetta said in the interview.
Progress in Afghanistan comes against the backdrop of corruption in the country`s government and the persistent challenge of the militant sanctuaries in Pakistan, as cited in an April 30 report from Panetta`s own department.
‘‘The Taliban is resilient," Panetta said. ‘‘They`re going to be there. They`re going to continue to attack. We do have problems obviously with Afghanistan corruption. So I don`t think we ought to take anything for granted.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP