US to deploy anti-missile interceptors in Romania
Bucharest (Romania): Romania`s defense minister said on Tuesday US plans to deploy anti-missile interceptors in his country are going ahead and that Romania has an "exceptional" partnership with the United States.
US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel last week announced that plans to place long-range missile interceptors in the final stage of its European system are being abandoned. US officials have stressed they will deploy shorter-range missiles to Poland and Romania.
Mircea Dusa told the Associated Press on Tuesday that "I have very serious assurances from the American side that the investment in Romania will continue," and interceptors will be deployed in 2015.
"Our military cooperation (with the US) since we joined NATO is an exceptional one."
He said the changes in the defense system plans were caused by spending cuts, not political considerations.
"There is a worldwide problem with the economic crisis and in 2013 very many states are spending less on their defense budgets," he said.
He says Romanian officials were informed three weeks ago followed by confirmation "two to three hours" before the U.S. announcement.
He refused to be drawn on Russia`s opposition to the anti-missile interceptors beyond saying that Romania had "normal" relations with Moscow.
Russia has complained about the US plan, with the Kremlin saying it believes it is aimed against Russia`s missile program. Washington adamantly denies that and says the system is meant to stop missiles from Iran and North Korea.
Romania`s relations have cooled with Russia since Romania joined NATO in 2004 and also over the former Soviet republic of Moldova, which used to be part of Romania. Some three-quarters of Moldova`s 4.1 million citizens are of Romanian descent and tens of thousands have Romanian citizenship, but Russia continues to wield economic and political influence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?