US to deploy more weapons in S Korea
Seoul: US forces based in South Korea are seeking to deploy weapons here for more advanced war-fighting capabilities, the commander of the forces said Tuesday.
"In order to enhance war-fighting capabilities, I have asked for prioritization to receive an additional attack and reconnaissance squadron to bring our combat aviation brigade to full strength," Gen. James Thurman, commander of U.S. forces here, told a forum in Seoul.
"I have asked for increased capabilities in terms of theater ballistic missile defense" to maintain a strong defense readiness, the commander said, adding he is "confident" that the Pentagon will approve the request.
The remarks come amid heightened tension on the divided peninsula, with the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea (DPRK) accusing South Korea of insulting its leadership.
The two Koreas remain technically at war since the 1950-53 conflict ended with a truce, with the 28,500-strong U.S. military presence here serving as a defense umbrella for its ally.
Following the two deadly border incidents in 2010 that Seoul blames on Pyongyang, officials here have repeatedly vowed to strike back if attacked again.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India