US to give aid, armored vehicles to Syrian rebels
Washington: The United Sates is moving to provide Syrian rebels equipment such as body armor and armored vehicles, and would also offer them military training, American and European officials have said.
The officials also said that the Obama administration could send humanitarian assistance directly to Syria’s opposition political coalition.
According to the Washington Post, elements of the proposed policy, which officials cautioned have not yet been finalized, are being discussed by Secretary of State John F. Kerry in upcoming meetings with allies in Europe and the Middle East.
The move is as part of a coordinated effort to end the bloody uprising against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime.
The paper pointed out that the Obama administration has not provided direct aid to the military or political side of the opposition throughout the two-year-old conflict, and U.S. officials remain opposed to providing weapons to the rebels.
The pending shift to a more active role comes as the Obama administration and its partners backing the opposition, including Britain, France and countries in Syria’s region, have concluded that there is little immediate chance for a negotiated political settlement with Assad’s government, the Post said.
Western officials have also acknowledged that the opposition coalition is unlikely to quickly develop a governing infrastructure or attract significant support from fence-sitting Syrian minorities and Assad supporters, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs