US to grill China over disputed passport maps
Sydney: The United States will raise concerns with China over a new map in its passports that lays claim to disputed areas in the South China Sea, says a report.
“We do have concerns about this map which is causing tension and anxiety between and among the states in the South China Sea,” State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told a news briefing.
“We do intend to raise this with the Chinese in terms of it not being helpful to the environment we all seek to resolve these issues,” she added.
According to the Herald Sun, China’s latest move irked some of its Southeast Asian neighbours, including India.
China had depicted Arunachal Pradesh and Aksai Chin as part of its territory in its new passports.
It also angered Vietnam and the Philippines by including disputed South China Sea islands on its maps.
The Philippines ``strongly protests`` against China`s move, its foreign affairs ministry spokesman, Raul Hernandez, had said last week.
"The action of China is contrary to the spirit of the declaration of conduct of parties in the South China Sea," Hernandez had said.
Vietnam`s government lodged a formal complaint with the Chinese embassy in Hanoi last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today