US to honour Egyptian activist
Cairo: Egyptian activist Samira Ibrahim will be honored along ten other women with the US State Department`s International Women of Courage Award for advocating women`s rights.
Ibrahim will be honoured by US Secretary of State John Kerry next Friday on the occasion of International Women`s Day.
The State Department`s award "recognizes women around the globe who have shown exceptional courage and leadership in advocating for women`s rights and empowerment, often at great personal risk."
Ibrahim became known after taking the government to court over so-called "virginity tests."
Ibrahim is the coordinator of the Know Your Rights movement, which works to raise political awareness and advocate for women`s rights in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- 'Heartbroken' Virat Kohli deletes, then re-posts his sad pic
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what