US to judge Iran`s deal with IAEA on action
Washington: The potential deal between Iran and the UN nuclear watchdog on nuclear inspection was a "step forward", said the White House on Tuesday while stressing that the deal would be ultimately judged by Tehran`s actions.
The White House statement came after Yukiya Amano, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), announced on Tuesday that an agreement on probing suspected work on Iran`s controversial nuclear programme was expected to be signed soon, Xinhua reported.
"I think it`s important to note that the announcement today (Tuesday) is a step forward," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters at a briefing. "It`s an agreement in principle. It represents a step in the right direction."
"But as we`ve said in the past about the totality of Iran`s obligations and their fulfilment of them, we will make judgments about Iran`s behaviour based on actions, not just promises or agreements," he noted.
The potential agreement is meant to give the UN nuclear watchdog access to sites, scientists and documents it seeks to address international concerns over Iran`s nuclear activities.
The IAEA`s announcement came a day before the nuclear talks between Iran and the world`s major powers, namely Britain, China, France, Russia, and the US plus Germany, are due to start in Baghdad, the Iraqi capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH