US to probe unauthorised CIA interrogation techniques
Washington: US plans to appoint a criminal
prosecutor to probe whether CIA interrogators used techniques,
including excess waterboarding that were not authorised on
terror suspects, a media report said on Sunday.
A top justice department official said Attorney
General Eric H Holder Jr intends to hold an inquiry focussing
on "whether people went beyond the techniques that were
authorised" in Bush administration memos that liberally
interpreted anti-torture laws.
CIA officials who have firsthand knowledge of the
interrogation files contend that criminal convictions will be
difficult to obtain because the quality of evidence is poor
and the legal underpinnings have never been tested.
Some cases have not previously been disclosed,
including an instance in which a CIA operative brought a gun
into an interrogation booth to force a detainee to talk,
officials said, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Other potentially criminal abuses have already come to
light, including the waterboarding of prisoners in excess of
Justice Department guidelines, and the deaths of detainees in
CIA custody in Afghanistan and Iraq in 2002 and 2003.
Opening a criminal investigation is something Holder
"has come reluctantly to consider," the Justice Department
official said, emphasising that Holder had not reached a final
decision but noting that, "as attorney general, he has the
obligation to follow the law."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India