US to provide $60 mn aid to Syrian rebels
Rome: US Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday said that Washington would provide USD 60 million as non-lethal aid directly to Syrian rebels, who are fighting against President Bashar al-Assad’s regime, according to BBC.
Kerry said Washington would provide direct assistance to rebel forces in Syria in the form of food and medical assistance.
The US’ move comes a day after the White House said it is focused on efforts to help the Syrian opposition become stronger, more cohesive and more organised it was reviewing the nature of its assistance to the Syrian people.
The move can be viewed as a part of a coordinated effort to end the bloody uprising against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime.
Earlier, Kerry had said he is eager to discuss new ways of convincing Syrian President to step down and usher in a democratic transition in the country that has been wracked by increasing violence that has killed at least 70,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday