US to stop sharing forces data with Russia
Washington: Blaming Moscow for
non-cooperation, United States has announced to stop sharing data with Russia on its troops presence in Europe.
"The US has made a decision to cease implementing,
vis-a-vis Russia, certain obligations under the Conventional
Forces in Europe Treaty.
This move responds to Russia`s cessation of implementation
of CFE, which began in December 2007, and the subsequent
impasse with Moscow on a way forward," State Department
spokesperson, Victoria Nuland, said yesterday.
Adopted in November 1990, it was seen as a groundbreaking
accord credited with greatly advancing global security. But
Russia suspended its observance of the treaty in 2007.
The US she said has made repeated efforts to bring Russia
back to full implementation of CFE.
"Efforts were made in 2007. Efforts were made in 2009 and
2010. So what this means specifically is that the US will not
accept Russian inspections of our bases under the CFE, and we
will also not provide Russia with the annual notifications and
military data called for in the treaty.
It is our understanding that a number, if not all, of the
US-NATO allies will do the same," she said.
However, she said, the United States will continue to
implement the Treaty and carry out all obligations with all
States Parties other than Russia, including not exceeding the
numerical limits on conventional armaments and equipment
established by the Treaty.
"We will resume full Treaty implementation regarding
Russia if Russia resumes implementation of its Treaty
obligations," she said.
Nuland said the US remains firmly committed to
revitalising conventional arms control in Europe.
"In order to increase transparency and consistent with our
longstanding effort to promote stability and build confidence
in Europe, the United States will voluntarily inform Russia of
any significant change in our force posture in Europe," she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch