US to transfer Guantanamo detainees to Illinois prison
Washington: Detainees at the US military jail in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba will be transferred to a prison the federal government will acquire in the northern state of Illinois, an administration official said on Tuesday.
"Today, the administration will announce that the
president has directed that the federal government proceed
with the acquisition of the Thomson Correctional Center in
Thomson, Illinois to house federal inmates and a limited
number of detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba," the official
"Closing the detention center at Guantanamo is essential
to protecting our national security and helping our troops by
removing a deadly recruiting tool from the hands of Al-Qaeda,"
the same official added.
"Today`s announcement is an important step forward as we
work to achieve our national security objectives."
The Chicago Tribune earlier reported that the facility
would house between 35 and 90 detainees to be transferred from
the controversial detention camp located on a US naval base in
The decision has been months in the making, as the
administration works to close the Guantanamo facility,
fulfilling one of US President Barack Obama`s campaign
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested