US to upgrade Taiwan F-16s, not sell new ones
Washington: The Obama administration has
decided to upgrade Taiwan`s existing fleet of F-16 fighter
jets but not sell it the new planes it also wants,
congressional staff said.
The administration gave a briefing on Capitol Hill on its
decision on Friday, but has yet to issue a formal notification
of the intended deal. An announcement is expected by the end
of this month.
Two congressional aides confirmed the decision on condition of anonymity as they were not
authorised to make it public.
The decision represents a compromise aimed at improving
Taiwan`s ability to defend itself, while assuaging China`s
concern over the arms sales. However, Beijing is still
expected to react angrily. It regards the self-governing
island as part of its territory.
There will also be criticism from Republicans and some
Democrats in Congress who have strongly backed the sales of 66
F-16 C/D fighters that Taiwan wants, in addition to the
upgrades of the 145 F-16 A/Bs that the US sold it in the
There were no immediate details on the package of
upgrades the US is providing for the A/Bs. But even if it
includes sophisticated radar, avionics and missile systems,
Taiwan`s air force will still lag far behind its Chinese
counterpart, which is equipped with state-of-the-art jet
A Pentagon report issued last year painted a grim picture
of Taiwan`s air defence capabilities, saying many of the
island`s 400 combat aircraft would not be available to help
withstand an attack from the mainland.
Wang Kao-cheng, a military expert at Taipei`s Tamkang
University, said Taiwan`s air defences could get some lift
from the upgrade, but the island is still at a profound
disadvantage with Beijing in the number of third-generation
warplanes it has at its disposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'