US top court refuses to take on NSA surveillance
Washington: The US Supreme Court on Monday blocked a challenge to the National Security Agency`s vast email and telephone surveillance programme.
Without giving any explanation, the country`s top court rejected the appeal filed by the Electronic Privacy Information Center, or EPIC, asking the justices to halt the spy programme.
"The ongoing collection of the domestic telephone records of millions of Americans by the NSA, untethered to any particular investigation, is beyond the authority granted by Congress to the FISC," EPIC said, referring to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.
The government had asked the Supreme Court to reject the appeal, saying the surveillance programme, in place since 2006, had been authorised by the FISC.
This is the first appeal to the communications surveillance directly filed to the Supreme Court since former contracter Edward Snowden leaked details about it to the media.
Other lawsuits on the NSA programme could reach the Supreme Court, after being heard by lower courts in Washington and New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof