US towns rebuilt from superstorm ripped by fire
Seaside Park: Two New Jersey seaside towns, ripped apart last year by a superstorm and newly rebuilt, woke up to the aftermath of a new nightmare a raging fire that destroyed it all again.
"I feel like I want to throw up," the state`s famously unscripted governor, Chris Christie, said Thursday after racing to the scene.
The Jersey shore is famous for Bruce Springsteen, crowded amusement parks and some of the most praised beaches on the US East Coast. The communities depend on summer tourism.
Superstorm Sandy tore up the coast in late 2012, and the communities raced to prepare for business this summer. Seaside Heights, whose damaged roller coaster became a defining image of the storm, rushed to reconstruct its boardwalk in time for a May visit by Britain`s Prince Harry. It finished with only hours to spare.
But on Thursday, the fire that started near an ice cream shop spread to destroy 50 local businesses and caused millions of dollars in damage. It raged for eight hours and destroyed about five blocks of boardwalk.
President Barack Obama praised the first responders who helped fight the fire and pledged support for state and local efforts to rebuild and recover again.
Paul Schneider, who owns three small boardwalk stands, was stunned.
"Everything`s gone. I can`t believe this is happening again," said Schneider, who had to rip out damaged electrical wiring and replace sodden merchandise after Sandy.
Christie said yesterday that the fire was 95 per cent contained, but it could take days to extinguish "hot pockets" at the scene.
The governor said there were only minor injuries, including to three police officers who fell from a moving vehicle.
"I will not permit all the work we`ve done over the last 10 months to be diminished or destroyed by what happened last night," Christie said.
Seaside Park officials began planning yesterday morning to rebuild their part of the boardwalk, at the southern end. Most of the boardwalk shared by the two towns was still intact. Authorities said there was no immediate indication whether the fire was suspicious or accidental.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared