US transfers Gitmo prisoner to Switzerland
Washington: The US has announced transfer of
an Uzbek detainee from Guantanamo Bay to Switzerland for
"The Swiss Government, with the support of the Canton of
Geneva, accepted an Uzbek national for resettlement and his
transfer was carried out according to arrangements between the
governments of the United States and Switzerland," the
Department of Justice said in a statement.
The individual`s identity has not been released.
"The United States is grateful to the Government of
Switzerland and the Canton of Geneva for their willingness to
support US efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention
facility," the Department of Justice said.
At present, 192 detainees remain in Guantanamo Bay. Since
2002, more than 570 detainees have departed Guantanamo Bay for
various countries, including Algeria, Bahrain, Chad, Denmark,
Egypt, France, Maldives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say