US transfers Gitmo prisoner to Switzerland
Washington: The US has announced transfer of
an Uzbek detainee from Guantanamo Bay to Switzerland for
"The Swiss Government, with the support of the Canton of
Geneva, accepted an Uzbek national for resettlement and his
transfer was carried out according to arrangements between the
governments of the United States and Switzerland," the
Department of Justice said in a statement.
The individual`s identity has not been released.
"The United States is grateful to the Government of
Switzerland and the Canton of Geneva for their willingness to
support US efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention
facility," the Department of Justice said.
At present, 192 detainees remain in Guantanamo Bay. Since
2002, more than 570 detainees have departed Guantanamo Bay for
various countries, including Algeria, Bahrain, Chad, Denmark,
Egypt, France, Maldives.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Kabir Khan's message to the media after being 'heckled in Pakistan' is epic!
- Subrata Roy's health deteriorating in jail, can't survive another summer: Sahara tells SC
- BJP doing 'gundagardi' in name of making people say 'Bharat Mata ki Jai', says Arvind Kejriwal
- Sheena Bora murder: Indrani, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till May 9
- Sushmita Sen - mother of two daughters - talks about her sexiest mantra