US transfers Gitmo prisoner to Switzerland
Washington: The US has announced transfer of
an Uzbek detainee from Guantanamo Bay to Switzerland for
"The Swiss Government, with the support of the Canton of
Geneva, accepted an Uzbek national for resettlement and his
transfer was carried out according to arrangements between the
governments of the United States and Switzerland," the
Department of Justice said in a statement.
The individual`s identity has not been released.
"The United States is grateful to the Government of
Switzerland and the Canton of Geneva for their willingness to
support US efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention
facility," the Department of Justice said.
At present, 192 detainees remain in Guantanamo Bay. Since
2002, more than 570 detainees have departed Guantanamo Bay for
various countries, including Algeria, Bahrain, Chad, Denmark,
Egypt, France, Maldives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town