US transfers Somali pirate suspects to Seychelles
Nairobi: The island nation of Seychelles says
it has agreed to accept 15 Somali pirate suspects from US
military custody for prosecution.
The announcement today follows an agreement between
Seychelles President James Michel and US Secretary of State
Hillary Rodham Clinton that the two nations would continue to
collaborate in the fight against piracy.
The Seychelles is a crucial linchpin in the fight against
piracy. The US military flies aerial surveillance drones from
the island nation.
A top Seychelles official, Joel Morgan, said the
prosecution would send a clear signal to pirates that they
can`t attack ships with impunity. About 20 per cent of the
roughly 500 prisoners in the Seychelles are Somali pirates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly