US Treasury imposes sanctions on Iran`s airline
Washington: The US is penalising an Iranian commercial airline that it says is helping Iran’s feared special operations forces.
The Treasury Department says Mahan Air provides financial, material and technological support to the Quds Force and to Hezbollah.
A Treasury statement says the airline ferries personnel between Iran and Syria for military training and helps Iranian officers covertly travel abroad.
The Quds Force is part of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard military unit. The US says a Quds member who’s at large in Iran plotted to assassinate Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the United States.
The US is banning Americans from doing business with the airline and is blocking any assets the airline might have in the US.
The Treasury Department says Mahan’s crews also shipped Iranian arms, some on behalf of Hezbollah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win