US Treasury imposes sanctions on Iran`s airline
Washington: The US is penalising an Iranian commercial airline that it says is helping Iran’s feared special operations forces.
The Treasury Department says Mahan Air provides financial, material and technological support to the Quds Force and to Hezbollah.
A Treasury statement says the airline ferries personnel between Iran and Syria for military training and helps Iranian officers covertly travel abroad.
The Quds Force is part of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard military unit. The US says a Quds member who’s at large in Iran plotted to assassinate Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the United States.
The US is banning Americans from doing business with the airline and is blocking any assets the airline might have in the US.
The Treasury Department says Mahan’s crews also shipped Iranian arms, some on behalf of Hezbollah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?