US Treasury Secretary to have surgery for kidney stones
Washington: US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner was admitted to a local hospital on Friday where he will undergo minor surgery to deal with a kidney stone.
Treasury spokesman Steve Adamske said Geithner began experiencing pain from a kidney stone on Thursday night and was admitted to a Washington hospital last morning.
Adamske said that Geithner will have what he called a "minor surgical procedure" performed Friday afternoon and expects to be back at work on Monday.
The illness did force Geithner to cancel his Sunday appearances on three television network news programmes where he had been scheduled to promote the tax-cut deal that the administration reached with congressional Republicans this week.
Adamske said that when Geithner was asked on Friday morning how much pain he was in, Geithner replied, "As between this and doing the Sunday shows, it`s a close call."
Treasury did not immediately supply details of what type of procedure Geithner will undergo, but typically kidney stones are dealt with by using either sound waves to dissolve the stone or minimally invasive surgery via a catheter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next