US turning blind eye to facts about South China Sea: China
Beijing: Defending its move to establish a new city and a military garrison in the South China Sea, China has accused US of turning a "blind eye to certain facts" to portray a wrong impression about Beijing`s stand.
Expressing strong dissatisfaction and opposition on the press statement released by the U S Department of State on the South China Sea, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said it "completely ignored the facts, deliberately confounded right and wrong".
The US statement sent a "seriously wrong signal, which is not conducive to the efforts safeguarding the peace and stability of the South China Sea and the Asia Pacific region," Qin said in a statement.
Defending the recent move to set up the Sansha city in the disputed Xisha, Nansha and Zhongsha Islands, which were also claimed by Vietnam, Qin said China has indisputable sovereignty over the areas and their adjacent waters, and has ample historical basis for this.
China set up offices in Xisha, Nansha and Zhongsha Islands, which were affiliated to the Guangdong Province, in 1959, to administrate the three islands and their adjacent waters, Qin said.
"Setting up Sansha city is the Chinese government`s necessary adjustment of the current administrative agencies, which is completely within China`s sovereignty," he said.
Why does the US turn a blind eye to the facts that certain countries opened a number of oil and gas blocks, and issued domestic laws illegally appropriating Chinese islands and waters, he asked referring to Vietnam inviting foreign companies to explore oil reserves around the islands.
"The selective blindness and expression of concerns of the US side run against the attitude of `no position` and `not to intervene` that they have claimed to hold on the South China Sea issue, and is not conducive to the unity, cooperation, peace and stability in the region," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted Qin as saying.
US had yesterday voiced concerns about rising tensions over South China Sea, and cited China`s establishment of Sansha city and garrison to single Beijing out for criticism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!