US turning blind eye to facts about South China Sea: China
Beijing: Defending its move to establish a new city and a military garrison in the South China Sea, China has accused US of turning a "blind eye to certain facts" to portray a wrong impression about Beijing`s stand.
Expressing strong dissatisfaction and opposition on the press statement released by the U S Department of State on the South China Sea, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said it "completely ignored the facts, deliberately confounded right and wrong".
The US statement sent a "seriously wrong signal, which is not conducive to the efforts safeguarding the peace and stability of the South China Sea and the Asia Pacific region," Qin said in a statement.
Defending the recent move to set up the Sansha city in the disputed Xisha, Nansha and Zhongsha Islands, which were also claimed by Vietnam, Qin said China has indisputable sovereignty over the areas and their adjacent waters, and has ample historical basis for this.
China set up offices in Xisha, Nansha and Zhongsha Islands, which were affiliated to the Guangdong Province, in 1959, to administrate the three islands and their adjacent waters, Qin said.
"Setting up Sansha city is the Chinese government`s necessary adjustment of the current administrative agencies, which is completely within China`s sovereignty," he said.
Why does the US turn a blind eye to the facts that certain countries opened a number of oil and gas blocks, and issued domestic laws illegally appropriating Chinese islands and waters, he asked referring to Vietnam inviting foreign companies to explore oil reserves around the islands.
"The selective blindness and expression of concerns of the US side run against the attitude of `no position` and `not to intervene` that they have claimed to hold on the South China Sea issue, and is not conducive to the unity, cooperation, peace and stability in the region," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted Qin as saying.
US had yesterday voiced concerns about rising tensions over South China Sea, and cited China`s establishment of Sansha city and garrison to single Beijing out for criticism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?