US, UN condemn Ahmadinejad`s comments on Israel
The US has condemned Ahmadinejad`s tirade against Israel, calling it "reprehensible", while UN chief expressed dismay.
"Iran and Syria`s blatant disregard for basic human rights is the real insult to humanity," he said.
In a late night statement, UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon said he is "dismayed" by the remarks threatening Israel`s existence.
"The Secretary-General condemns these offensive and inflammatory statements," said a statement issued by his spokesman.
"The Secretary-General believes that all leaders in the region should use their voices at this time to lower, rather than to escalate, tensions. In accordance with the United Nations Charter, all members must refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any State," the UN statement said.
Meanwhile, top American Senator, Bobb Casey, in a letter to the UN Secretary General, urged him not to attend the upcoming Summit of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) in Tehran later this month.
"Iran has not complied with its obligations to the International Atomic Energy Agency, is an active state sponsor of terrorism, and continues to support the murderous regime of Bashar al-Assad," wrote Casey, Chairman of the US Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on Near Eastern, South and Central Asian Affairs.
"I am concerned that your presence in Tehran could serve to legitimise the actions of this regime at a critical time in the region and urge you to reconsider attending this conference," he wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey