US unable to document any payments for Abu Ghraib

US defence secy rejects demands that he resigns over Abu Ghraib jail scandal.

Washington: Fending off demands that he resign over the Abu Ghraib prison scandal, US Defence Secretary Donald H Rumsfeld told Congress he had found a legal way to compensate Iraqi detainees who suffered "grievous and brutal abuse and cruelty at the hands of a few members of the United States armed forces”.

"It`s the right thing to do," Rumsfeld declared in 2004. "And it is my intention to see that we do."

Six years later, the US Army is unable to document a single payment for prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib.

Nor can the more than 250 Iraqis or their lawyers now seeking redress in US courts. Their hopes for compensation may rest on a Supreme Court decision this week.

The Army says about 30 former Abu Ghraib prisoners are seeking compensation from the US Army Claims Service. Those claims are still being investigated and many do not involve inmate abuse.

The Army added that US Forces-Iraq looked at its records and could not find any payments to former detainees. The Army also cannot verify whether any such payments were made informally through Iraqi leaders.

From fiscal years 2003 to 2006, the Defence Department paid USD 30.9 million to Iraqi and Afghan civilians who were killed, injured, or incurred property damage due to US or coalition forces` actions during combat. The Army has found no evidence any of those payments were used to compensate victims of abuse at Abu Ghraib.

So instead of compensation, the legacy of the most infamous detainee abuse episode from President George W Bush`s tenure is lawsuits, and the court battle mirrors the Iraq war — a grinding, drawn-out conflict.

At the US Supreme Court, the former detainees are asking the justices to step into a case alleging that civilian interrogators and linguists conspired with soldiers to abuse the prisoners. All the detainees, who allege they were held at Abu Ghraib or one of the other 16 detention centres in Iraq, say they were eventually released without any charges against them.

Bureau Report