US University fraternity under fire for ‘racist’ Asian-themed party
Washington: The fraternity at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, has been suspended for hosting Asian-themed party opponents dubbed the ‘racist rager’.
Students, who attended the weekend party which was hosted by Kappa Sigma, wore Asian-style clothing and mimicked stereotypical Asian accents.
The invitation to the event, at first named ‘Asia Prime’ told attendees ‘We look forward to having Mi, Yu, You and Yo Friends over for some Sake. Chank You.’
According to the New York Daily News, the invitation also contained a meme based on the former North Korean leader Kim Jong Il`s character in the movie ‘Team America: World Police’.
The party’s name was later changed to ‘International Relations’ after opponents on campus got wind of the event.
Angry students posted dozens of fliers around Duke`s campus urging people to boycott the ‘racist rager’.
The party hosted on February 01, however, went ahead as planned, but ongoing anger over the event prompted the parent organisation of Kappa Sigma to suspend the Duke chapter on Wednesday.
The party also led to protests on campus, with Asian student groups calling for an apology and a cultural shift at the prestigious school in Durham, NC.
They also posted Facebook photos of the event, with attendees faces blurred, around campus, the report said.
At an on-campus rally on Wednesday, students from a variety of racial backgrounds chanted ‘racist parties make no sense’, it said.
According to the report, the fraternity this week apologised for hosting the party, saying the event should have been ‘completely cancelled’.
School officials said they were sitting down with Kappa Sigma to discuss how to deal with fallout from the party, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing