US University fraternity under fire for ‘racist’ Asian-themed party
Washington: The fraternity at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, has been suspended for hosting Asian-themed party opponents dubbed the ‘racist rager’.
Students, who attended the weekend party which was hosted by Kappa Sigma, wore Asian-style clothing and mimicked stereotypical Asian accents.
The invitation to the event, at first named ‘Asia Prime’ told attendees ‘We look forward to having Mi, Yu, You and Yo Friends over for some Sake. Chank You.’
According to the New York Daily News, the invitation also contained a meme based on the former North Korean leader Kim Jong Il`s character in the movie ‘Team America: World Police’.
The party’s name was later changed to ‘International Relations’ after opponents on campus got wind of the event.
Angry students posted dozens of fliers around Duke`s campus urging people to boycott the ‘racist rager’.
The party hosted on February 01, however, went ahead as planned, but ongoing anger over the event prompted the parent organisation of Kappa Sigma to suspend the Duke chapter on Wednesday.
The party also led to protests on campus, with Asian student groups calling for an apology and a cultural shift at the prestigious school in Durham, NC.
They also posted Facebook photos of the event, with attendees faces blurred, around campus, the report said.
At an on-campus rally on Wednesday, students from a variety of racial backgrounds chanted ‘racist parties make no sense’, it said.
According to the report, the fraternity this week apologised for hosting the party, saying the event should have been ‘completely cancelled’.
School officials said they were sitting down with Kappa Sigma to discuss how to deal with fallout from the party, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months