US university pulls funding for ‘sex week’ amid outcry from conservatives
Washington: A ‘sex week’ programme at a US University, aimed at promoting sexual health and awareness, has had its funding slashed after conservatives launched a campaign against the event.
The series of events and panel discussions scheduled to begin on April 5 at the University of Tennessee’s Knoxville campus become a hotly debated political issue after reports that it was being funded by state money.
According to the New York Daily News, on Wednesday, the university announced that the event will no longer receive money from academic programmes and departments, which comes from state tax and tuition dollars.
Officials have weighed in, saying the school’s budget should be re-examined in light of the events.
State Republican Bill Dunn said topics and event titles such as “queer as a bug” and “How Many Licks Does It Take” are offensive to Christians.
Republican lawmakers had put pressure on the university after a recent column from Fox News Radio’s Todd Starnes drew attention with the headline “University of Tennessee Uses Student Fees to Host Lesbian Bondage Expert,” the report said.
The organization behind Sex Week, Sexual Empowerment and Awareness at Tennessee, wrote on its website that the event ‘will foster ongoing, open, and productive dialogue and will add to the value of student life and the co-curricular education at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville,’ the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical