US urges China to avoid provocative action in South China Sea
Washington: Concerned over China`s hostile stance with regards to its claims over disputed territory in South China Sea, the US has urged Beijing and other countries in the region to avoid any kind of provocative or unilateral action that raises tension in the region.
"Our position remains that all concerned parties should avoid any kind of provocative or unilateral action that can raise tensions or undermine the prospect for a negotiated solution. That`s the message that we`re giving the Chinese privately as well," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters here.
The US is monitoring the situation and is in touch with the Chinese foreign ministry, she said.
The Pentagon reiterated its call for peaceful resolution of disputes and freedom of navigation in international waters.
"Freedom of navigation is essential for any maritime nation and it applies to every maritime nation everywhere. As a (Asia-)Pacific power, we have a national interest in maritime freedoms," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters during an off camera news conference.
Responding to a question Little called all parties to follow ASEAN code of conduct to resolve maritime disputes, Little further mentioned that this was what US Secretary of Defense, Leon Panetta has stressed upon.
"He (Panetta) expressed interest in strengthening ASEAN Code of Conduct, when it comes to maritime rules and norms in the international legal regime in that part of the world," Little said.
China virtually claims entire South China Sea in the Pacific as part of its territorial waters from ancient times and asserted its claims by printing the disputed portions on a map in the new e-passports being issued to its citizens.
That has brought regional countries like Vietnam and Philippines out in the open condemning China`s assertions and challenging its claims over the waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion