US urges China to free last year`s Nobel winner
Washington: The US has reissued its call for China to free jailed dissident and democracy activist Liu Xiaobo who won last year`s Nobel Peace Prize.
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland also urged Beijing to stop harassing Liu`s wife Liu Xia, who has been held under virtual house arrest since he won the prize last October.
Nuland told a news conference on Friday that China has an international responsibility to uphold human rights and the US raises Liu Xiaobo`s case every time it discusses the issue with Beijing.
Liu co-authored a manifesto in 2008 calling for an end to single-party rule in China, and was detained later that year. His call for peaceful political change earned him an 11-year jail sentence on a charge of "inciting subversion of state power”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal