US urges China to free last year`s Nobel winner
Washington: The US has reissued its call for China to free jailed dissident and democracy activist Liu Xiaobo who won last year`s Nobel Peace Prize.
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland also urged Beijing to stop harassing Liu`s wife Liu Xia, who has been held under virtual house arrest since he won the prize last October.
Nuland told a news conference on Friday that China has an international responsibility to uphold human rights and the US raises Liu Xiaobo`s case every time it discusses the issue with Beijing.
Liu co-authored a manifesto in 2008 calling for an end to single-party rule in China, and was detained later that year. His call for peaceful political change earned him an 11-year jail sentence on a charge of "inciting subversion of state power”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened