US urges China to stop efforts to suppress Charter 08 movement
Washington: On the occasion of International Human Rights Day, Speaker of the US House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi asked the Chinese Government to cease its efforts to suppress the Charter 08 movement in the country and immediately release one of its authors Liu Xiaobo.
"Today also marks the one-year anniversary of the publication of Charter 08, an online petition signed by Chinese citizens calling for new policies to promote human rights and democracy in China," Pelosi said in a statement.
"Liu Xiaobo, one of the authors, has been arrested and other signers have been harassed and detained by authorities," she said.
"The courageous actions of the signers of the charter are to be commended, and the Chinese government should cease its efforts to suppress the Charter 08 movement including the immediate and unconditional release of Liu Xiaobo," she said.
Noting the world needs American leadership, Pelosi said: "In Darfur, human rights violations and genocide continues without resolution. In Burma, democracy activist
Aung San Suu Kyi still languishes in detention."
Pelosi said: "In China and Tibet, people are imprisoned for only expressing their ideas and political views. And for many people in the developing world, extreme poverty and the spread of infectious diseases continue to fuel a `fury of despair` that devastates communities and creates instability."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it