US urges China to stop efforts to suppress Charter 08 movement
Washington: On the occasion of International Human Rights Day, Speaker of the US House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi asked the Chinese Government to cease its efforts to suppress the Charter 08 movement in the country and immediately release one of its authors Liu Xiaobo.
"Today also marks the one-year anniversary of the publication of Charter 08, an online petition signed by Chinese citizens calling for new policies to promote human rights and democracy in China," Pelosi said in a statement.
"Liu Xiaobo, one of the authors, has been arrested and other signers have been harassed and detained by authorities," she said.
"The courageous actions of the signers of the charter are to be commended, and the Chinese government should cease its efforts to suppress the Charter 08 movement including the immediate and unconditional release of Liu Xiaobo," she said.
Noting the world needs American leadership, Pelosi said: "In Darfur, human rights violations and genocide continues without resolution. In Burma, democracy activist
Aung San Suu Kyi still languishes in detention."
Pelosi said: "In China and Tibet, people are imprisoned for only expressing their ideas and political views. And for many people in the developing world, extreme poverty and the spread of infectious diseases continue to fuel a `fury of despair` that devastates communities and creates instability."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan