US urges India, allies to help isolate Iran
Washington: The White House has urged India and its other allies and friends to help isolate Iran and put pressure on the Iranian regime to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions.
"I think that we have made clear to all of our allies and partners around the world about the importance of isolating the regime and Tehran and putting pressure on Iran to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
The White House official said the US would continue to work with countries around the globe in furthering that goal, "and that includes, obviously, India as well as many other nations”.
It is understood that the recent announcement by India that it is sending a big business delegation to Iran to explore the possibilities of trade and business ties with Iran has not gone down well with the Obama administration or the lawmakers at the Capitol Hill.
Many of them consider this as a step in defiance of the US and something that is aimed towards shielding Iran from its increasing international sanctions.
Carney said the Iranian issue also came up during the White House meetings of the visiting Chinese Vice President, Xi Jinping.
"It is an issue that we raise with the Chinese, as we raise it with many other countries. It is part of an effort, a concerted effort that has, I might remind you, resulted in the strictest sanctions with the greatest impact that have ever been imposed on Iran," he said.
The Chinese Vice President had said "that impact is evident now to observers and having an effect on both the Iranian economy and on the Iranian leadership”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy