US urges India, allies to help isolate Iran
Washington: The White House has urged India and its other allies and friends to help isolate Iran and put pressure on the Iranian regime to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions.
"I think that we have made clear to all of our allies and partners around the world about the importance of isolating the regime and Tehran and putting pressure on Iran to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
The White House official said the US would continue to work with countries around the globe in furthering that goal, "and that includes, obviously, India as well as many other nations”.
It is understood that the recent announcement by India that it is sending a big business delegation to Iran to explore the possibilities of trade and business ties with Iran has not gone down well with the Obama administration or the lawmakers at the Capitol Hill.
Many of them consider this as a step in defiance of the US and something that is aimed towards shielding Iran from its increasing international sanctions.
Carney said the Iranian issue also came up during the White House meetings of the visiting Chinese Vice President, Xi Jinping.
"It is an issue that we raise with the Chinese, as we raise it with many other countries. It is part of an effort, a concerted effort that has, I might remind you, resulted in the strictest sanctions with the greatest impact that have ever been imposed on Iran," he said.
The Chinese Vice President had said "that impact is evident now to observers and having an effect on both the Iranian economy and on the Iranian leadership”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?