US urges Russia to hand over Edward Snowden
Washington: The United States on Wednesday repeated its demand that Russia return American intelligence leaker Edward Snowden to face justice.
US Secretary of State John Kerry called his Russian opposite number Sergei Lavrov after reports that Russian authorities had given Snowden permission to leave a Moscow airport transit area and formally enter the country.
"He reiterated our belief that Mr Snowden needs to be returned to the United States where he will face a fair trial," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.
"Any move that would allow him to leave the airport would be deeply disappointing," she told reporters.
Earlier, White House press secretary Jay Carney had told reporters aboard Air Force One: "We`re seeking clarity from Russian authorities about Mr Snowden`s status and any change in it."
"He has been charged with serious felonies for the unauthorised leaking of highly classified information," he said.
"Mr Snowden should be expelled and returned to the United States," Carney said.
He spoke amid conflicting reports from Moscow about whether Snowden would be allowed to leave the transit area of Moscow`s Sheremetyevo Airport.
Snowden has been marooned at the airport amid an international tug of war set off by his revelations about highly secret US electronic surveillance programmes.
Russian news reports said he had been given a document allowing the former IT contractor to leave the transit area and cross the Russian border, but a lawyer who has been helping him denied that.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16