US urges UN force to go after Rwandan rebels in DR Congo
Kinshasa: The United States on Friday urged the UN mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo to "redouble its efforts" in the fight against Rwandan Hutu rebels in the restive east of the country.
US special envoy to Africa`s Great Lakes region, Russ Feingold, pointed to the success of Congolese troops backed by a UN intervention force in November in stopping the M23 rebel movement in eastern North Kivu province.
"The FDLR (Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda) need a similar end as the M23," said Feingold in a telephone press briefing before leaving on a trip to the region.
He said Washington fully supports the UN mission in the DR Congo, known as MONUSCO, but called on it to step up its efforts against the Rwandan rebel group.
"It is essential that MONUSCO, in line with its mandate, redouble its efforts to hold to its commitment to conduct operations in support of the (fight) against the FDLR," added Feingold, who spoke from Johannesburg.
In March last year, the UN Security Council gave MONUSCO an intervention brigade of 3,000 troops with an unprecedented offensive mandate, to help "neutralise" all the armed groups active in the volatile east of DR Congo.
The FDLR ethnic Hutu Rwandan rebels have been in mineral-rich North Kivu for some 20 years and include in their ranks some who participated in the 1994 genocide of Tutsis in Rwanda.
In December, the Congolese army and UN troops launched operations against the FDLR in North-Kivu province, but have not engaged in combat.
On Wednesday, the UN`s special deputy representative in DR Congo, Abdallah Wafy, said that fighting the FDLR was different from the battle against the M23 because the Rwandan rebels move around with women and children, raising the risk of civilians getting killed in an attack on the group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you