US urges Vietnam to free top dissident
Washington: The United States on Wednesday urged
Vietnam to immediately release prominent dissident Cu Huy Ha
Vu after a court upheld his seven-year jail sentence for
speaking out against the state.
"We are very concerned by the denial of activist Cu Huy
Ha Vu`s appeal," State Department spokesman Mark Toner told
"We continue to urge the government of Vietnam to
immediately release Mr Vu as well as all other prisoners of
conscience and believe that no individual should be imprisoned
for exercising the right to free speech," Toner said.
Vu, the son of a revolutionary leader, was detained in
November after twice trying to sue Prime Minister Nguyen Tan
Dung over a controversial bauxite mining plan and a decree
that prevented class-action petitions.
Vu was officially accused of spreading propaganda against
the state. But the French-trained legal expert told the appeal
hearing that Dung pursued the case after the attempted
lawsuits caused the prime minister to lose face.
The United States has a growing relationship with Vietnam
and just Monday announced the start of the first regular
military cooperation with its former woe foe. Vietnam has been
eager to build ties amid high tension with historic rival
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical