US vice president speaks to Egypt counterpart
Washington: US Vice President Joe Biden telephoned Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman on Thursday and stressed the Egyptian government is responsible for ensuring peaceful protests do not lead to violence.
Biden called for "restraint by all sides”, according to a White House statement, and urged that inclusive negotiations begin in order for Egypt to move to a democratic government.
"He stressed that the Egyptian government is responsible for ensuring that peaceful demonstrations don`t lead to violence and intimidation and for allowing journalists and human rights advocates to conduct their important work, including immediately releasing those who have been detained," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read