US vows to improve counterterror work with Egypt
Washington: The US is vowing to improve counterterrorism cooperation with Egypt after 16 Egyptian soldiers were killed by suspected Islamist militants.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton expressed her condolences in a telephone conversation with Prime Minister Hesham Kandil. She voiced support for the Egyptian government`s efforts to strengthen security.
State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said Hillary stressed that "violent extremism poses a threat to Egyptians, Egypt`s neighbours and Americans alike," and that Hillary committed to strengthening US counterterror work with Egypt.
The attack near Egypt`s borders with Israel and Gaza highlighted the deteriorating security since last year`s revolution.
Hillary said the US is steadfastly committed to Israel`s security.
She said people in the region would be reassured when Egypt`s new Islamist government establishes working relations with its neighbours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country