US vows to improve counterterror work with Egypt
Washington: The US is vowing to improve counterterrorism cooperation with Egypt after 16 Egyptian soldiers were killed by suspected Islamist militants.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton expressed her condolences in a telephone conversation with Prime Minister Hesham Kandil. She voiced support for the Egyptian government`s efforts to strengthen security.
State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said Hillary stressed that "violent extremism poses a threat to Egyptians, Egypt`s neighbours and Americans alike," and that Hillary committed to strengthening US counterterror work with Egypt.
The attack near Egypt`s borders with Israel and Gaza highlighted the deteriorating security since last year`s revolution.
Hillary said the US is steadfastly committed to Israel`s security.
She said people in the region would be reassured when Egypt`s new Islamist government establishes working relations with its neighbours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka