US vows to improve counterterror work with Egypt
Washington: The US is vowing to improve counterterrorism cooperation with Egypt after 16 Egyptian soldiers were killed by suspected Islamist militants.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton expressed her condolences in a telephone conversation with Prime Minister Hesham Kandil. She voiced support for the Egyptian government`s efforts to strengthen security.
State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said Hillary stressed that "violent extremism poses a threat to Egyptians, Egypt`s neighbours and Americans alike," and that Hillary committed to strengthening US counterterror work with Egypt.
The attack near Egypt`s borders with Israel and Gaza highlighted the deteriorating security since last year`s revolution.
Hillary said the US is steadfastly committed to Israel`s security.
She said people in the region would be reassured when Egypt`s new Islamist government establishes working relations with its neighbours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III