US vows to improve counterterror work with Egypt
Washington: The US is vowing to improve counterterrorism cooperation with Egypt after 16 Egyptian soldiers were killed by suspected Islamist militants.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton expressed her condolences in a telephone conversation with Prime Minister Hesham Kandil. She voiced support for the Egyptian government`s efforts to strengthen security.
State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said Hillary stressed that "violent extremism poses a threat to Egyptians, Egypt`s neighbours and Americans alike," and that Hillary committed to strengthening US counterterror work with Egypt.
The attack near Egypt`s borders with Israel and Gaza highlighted the deteriorating security since last year`s revolution.
Hillary said the US is steadfastly committed to Israel`s security.
She said people in the region would be reassured when Egypt`s new Islamist government establishes working relations with its neighbours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah