US vulnerable to China: Senator Webb
Washington: An influential American Senator on Friday said the US faces more risk from China than ever and there is no country in the world to which it is more vulnerable.
"There is no country in the world to which we are more vulnerable, strategically and economically, than China," said Senator Jim Webb, Chairman of the East Asian and pacific Affairs Subcommittee of the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Webb said China has quietly outsmarted the US from the entire South East Asia region; which should be an issue of concern to the Obama administration.
"The risks we face are illustrated by China`s recent cyber attacks against government and business organisations such as Google; by its expanding military activities in South China Sea; and by the growth of its foreign reserves to USD 2.4 trillion at the end of 2009, despite the global recession," he said.
The Senator also charged the administration with having a dual policy that while it has imposed sanctions on smaller countries like Burma because of violation of human rights and absence of democracy; big countries like China have been ignored in this regard.
Nowhere is this more obvious than in Myanmar, where Chinese influence has grown steadily at a time when the US has cut off virtually all economic and diplomatic relations. Since the tightest restrictions were placed on the country, Chinese arms sales and other military aid has exceeded USD 3 billion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant