US vulnerable to China: Senator Webb
Washington: An influential American Senator on Friday said the US faces more risk from China than ever and there is no country in the world to which it is more vulnerable.
"There is no country in the world to which we are more vulnerable, strategically and economically, than China," said Senator Jim Webb, Chairman of the East Asian and pacific Affairs Subcommittee of the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Webb said China has quietly outsmarted the US from the entire South East Asia region; which should be an issue of concern to the Obama administration.
"The risks we face are illustrated by China`s recent cyber attacks against government and business organisations such as Google; by its expanding military activities in South China Sea; and by the growth of its foreign reserves to USD 2.4 trillion at the end of 2009, despite the global recession," he said.
The Senator also charged the administration with having a dual policy that while it has imposed sanctions on smaller countries like Burma because of violation of human rights and absence of democracy; big countries like China have been ignored in this regard.
Nowhere is this more obvious than in Myanmar, where Chinese influence has grown steadily at a time when the US has cut off virtually all economic and diplomatic relations. Since the tightest restrictions were placed on the country, Chinese arms sales and other military aid has exceeded USD 3 billion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof