US vulnerable to cyber-Pearl Harbour, says Panetta
Washington: The US faces the possibility of a "cyber-Pearl Harbour," becoming increasingly vulnerable to hackers who could cripple transportation and financial networks, US Defense Secretary Leon E Panetta has warned.
Cyber attacks that have long caused major work disruption and theft of private information are becoming more sophisticated, with prolonged attacks perpetrated by organised groups.
In Sep 2012, Bank of America, Citibank, the New York Stock Exchange, and other financial institutions were targets of cyber attacks. The attacks lasted over five weeks.
Key to protecting online operations is a high degree of "cyber security awareness," according to researchers Varun Dutt, Young-Suk Ahn, and Cleotilde Gonzalez of the Dynamic Decision Making Lab (DDML) at Carnegie Mellon University.
These researchers developed a computer model that presented 500 simulated cyber attack scenarios to gauge simulated network security analysts` ability to detect attacks characterised as either "impatient" (the threat occurs early in the attack) or "patient" (the threat comes later in the attack and is not detected promptly), according to a DDML statement.
"Application of our results include the design of training tools that increase competency and the development of decision-support tools that improve defenders` on-the-job performance in detecting cyber attacks."
As cyber warfare strategies and tactics evolve, the authors plan to further investigate the trend of drawn-out attacks and new intrusion detection software.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray