US want `clarity` on Snowden status: White House
Washington: The United States is seeking an explanation from Russia on the status of fugitive US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden, the White House said on Wednesday.
"We`re seeking clarity from Russian authorities about Mr Snowden`s status and any change in it," White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
He spoke amid conflicting reports from Moscow about whether Snowden would be allowed to leave the transit area of Moscow`s Sheremetyevo Airport.
Snowden has been marooned at the airport amid an international tug of war set off by his revelations about highly secret US electronic surveillance programmes.
Russian news reports said he had been given a document allowing the former IT contractor to leave the transit area and cross the Russian border, but a lawyer who has been helping him denied that.
"He is staying here... He is here in the transit zone" at Sheremetyevo airport, pro-Kremlin lawyer Anatoly Kucherena told reporters after meeting Snowden inside the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video