US want `clarity` on Snowden status: White House
Washington: The United States is seeking an explanation from Russia on the status of fugitive US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden, the White House said on Wednesday.
"We`re seeking clarity from Russian authorities about Mr Snowden`s status and any change in it," White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
He spoke amid conflicting reports from Moscow about whether Snowden would be allowed to leave the transit area of Moscow`s Sheremetyevo Airport.
Snowden has been marooned at the airport amid an international tug of war set off by his revelations about highly secret US electronic surveillance programmes.
Russian news reports said he had been given a document allowing the former IT contractor to leave the transit area and cross the Russian border, but a lawyer who has been helping him denied that.
"He is staying here... He is here in the transit zone" at Sheremetyevo airport, pro-Kremlin lawyer Anatoly Kucherena told reporters after meeting Snowden inside the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'