US want `clarity` on Snowden status: White House
Washington: The United States is seeking an explanation from Russia on the status of fugitive US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden, the White House said on Wednesday.
"We`re seeking clarity from Russian authorities about Mr Snowden`s status and any change in it," White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
He spoke amid conflicting reports from Moscow about whether Snowden would be allowed to leave the transit area of Moscow`s Sheremetyevo Airport.
Snowden has been marooned at the airport amid an international tug of war set off by his revelations about highly secret US electronic surveillance programmes.
Russian news reports said he had been given a document allowing the former IT contractor to leave the transit area and cross the Russian border, but a lawyer who has been helping him denied that.
"He is staying here... He is here in the transit zone" at Sheremetyevo airport, pro-Kremlin lawyer Anatoly Kucherena told reporters after meeting Snowden inside the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Abhishek Bachchan's 'family' birthday—See pics