US wants bunker-buster fast, denies Iran is reason
Washington: The Pentagon is speeding up
delivery of a colossal bomb designed to destroy hidden weapons
bunkers buried underground and shielded by 4,535 kilograms of
Call it Plan B for dealing with Iran, which recently
revealed a long-suspected nuclear site deep inside a mountain
near the holy city of Qom.
The 15-tonne behemoth, called the "massive ordinance
penetrator," or MOP, will be the largest non-nuclear bomb in
the US arsenal and carry 2,400 kilograms of explosives. The
bomb is about 10 times more powerful than the weapon it is
designed to replace.
The Pentagon has awarded a nearly USD 52 million contract
to speed up placement of the bomb aboard the B-2 Stealth
bomber, and officials say the bomb could be fielded as soon as
Pentagon officials acknowledge that the new bomb is
intended to blow up fortified sites like those used by Iran
and North Korea for their nuclear programs, but they deny
there is a specific target in mind.
"I don`t think anybody can divine potential targets,"
Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell said. "This is just a
capability that we think is necessary given the world we live
The Obama administration has struggled to counter
suspicions lingering from George W Bush`s Presidency that the
US is either planning to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities
itself or would look the other way if Israel did the same.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata