US wants bunker-buster fast, denies Iran is reason
Washington: The Pentagon is speeding up
delivery of a colossal bomb designed to destroy hidden weapons
bunkers buried underground and shielded by 4,535 kilograms of
Call it Plan B for dealing with Iran, which recently
revealed a long-suspected nuclear site deep inside a mountain
near the holy city of Qom.
The 15-tonne behemoth, called the "massive ordinance
penetrator," or MOP, will be the largest non-nuclear bomb in
the US arsenal and carry 2,400 kilograms of explosives. The
bomb is about 10 times more powerful than the weapon it is
designed to replace.
The Pentagon has awarded a nearly USD 52 million contract
to speed up placement of the bomb aboard the B-2 Stealth
bomber, and officials say the bomb could be fielded as soon as
Pentagon officials acknowledge that the new bomb is
intended to blow up fortified sites like those used by Iran
and North Korea for their nuclear programs, but they deny
there is a specific target in mind.
"I don`t think anybody can divine potential targets,"
Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell said. "This is just a
capability that we think is necessary given the world we live
The Obama administration has struggled to counter
suspicions lingering from George W Bush`s Presidency that the
US is either planning to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities
itself or would look the other way if Israel did the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25