US wants Iran to make nuke program more transparent
Washington: The United States has asked Iran to make its nuclear program more transparent ahead of the six-power talks scheduled on October 1.
The US and its partners are looking at the measures they can take to try and pressure Iran into doing the right thing. These are living up to its responsibilities, making its nuclear program more transparent and raising the level of confidence that it is what they say it is, that it`s for peaceful purposes, State Department spokesman Ian Kelly said.
The US along with other international partners Britain, France, China, Russia and Germany– collectively called P5+1 – had last week accepted Iran`s offer of talks on the issue.
These countries are meeting in New York on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly session to discuss the issues to be taken up with Iran during the October 1 meeting, the venue of which has not been announced yet.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton next week looks forward to sitting down with her counterparts from the five countries in the P5+1 talk, Kelly said.
"We have made it very clear to Iran that they have a choice between isolation and reintegration with the international community, and we look forward to learning what their choice is," he said.
On the comments made by Iranian President against Israel, Kelly said, "We are all very concerned, of course, and even outraged by some of the comments by President Ahmadinejad about calling the Holocaust a lie and a pretext for Israel, that that was an insult to the memory of the millions who died in the Holocaust and, of course, very offensive to their families."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31