US wants to normalise its relationship with Pak
Washington: The US wants to normalise its
relationship with Pakistan, a top State Department official
said on Wednesday, as the ties between the two countries showed no
signs of any improvement at the start of the New Year.
"We want to get back to normal and get into a full
counter-terrorism relationship again. We think that`s
important not only for US security, but for Pakistani security
and for the security of the entire region. So those
conversations will continue," State Department spokesperson
Victoria Nuland told reporters.
The United States continues to talk to the Pakistani
government at all levels, she said, adding that its Ambassador
to Pakistan Cameron Munter has been back in touch with the
Pakistanis after the New Year holidays.
Earlier in the day, Pentagon Press Secretary George
Little expressed hope that the NATO supply route would be
reopened by Pakistan soon; talks for which are going on right
"As of now, the supplies are being airlifted," he said.
Responding to questions, Nuland said the US has its
reservations on the gas pipeline between Iran and Pakistan,
which was meant to be extended to India.
"We`ve made absolutely clear over many months now our
concern about this deal and we will continue to talk to
Pakistan about it. You know, were it to go forward, how it
might be impacted -- again, this is the kind of conversation
that we have to have with Pakistan and that we`re starting to
have now," Nuland said.
The State Department spokesperson said the judicial
inquiry into the memo gate scandal is an internal matter of
Pakistan; but it wants the issue to be resolved under the
"We`ve said regularly with regard to this case, with
regard to other judicial proceedings in Pakistan that we want
to see judicial proceedings go forward in accordance with the
Pakistani constitution, including the protections on citizens`
rights, and in accordance with international law," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’