US warns of North Korean chemical weapons threat
Beijing: The United States is trying to enlist Beijing`s support for military action against Syria by arguing that it would help deter North Korea from using chemical weapons and threatening security in China`s neighbourhood, a US official said on Tuesday.
Under Secretary of Defence for Policy James Miller, who was in Beijing to meet with Chinese officials, said a retaliatory strike against Syrian government would uphold international norm that chemical weapons must not be used.
Miller said he emphasised to his Chinese counterpart that lowering the threshold for chemical weapons use could put US troops at risk and threaten China`s security and that of the entire globe.
"I emphasised the massive chemical weapons arsenal that North Korea has and that we didn`t want to live in a world in which North Korea felt that the threshold for chemical weapons usage had been lowered," Miller told reporters at a briefing following his talks Monday with Wang Guanzhong, the Chinese army`s deputy chief of staff.
It was strongly in China`s interest that there be a "strong response to Assad`s clear and massive use of chemical weapons," Miller said he told Wang.
China has joined with Russia in blocking action against Syria at the United Nations Security Council and strongly opposes strikes on Syria by the US or its allies in response to an August 21 chemical attack near Damascus that the US says killed more than 1,400 people.
Beijing has called for political talks to end the violence that has killed an estimated 100,000 people and displaced 2 million more.
While China remains North Korea`s most important ally, it has repeatedly expressed concerns about the regime`s threat to regional stability and has sought to coax Pyongyang back to six-nation nuclear disarmament talks so far unsuccessfully.
Beijing joined the international community in tightening sanctions against the North over a banned missile launch and nuclear test that again raised the spectre of armed conflict on the Korean Peninsula just across the Yellow Sea from China.
US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel warned recently that North Korea possesses a massive stockpile of chemical weapons that threatens South Korea and the 28,000 US troops stationed there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez