US welcomes Chad-Sudan engagement
Washington: US on Wednesday hailed the decision
made by Chad and Sudan to engage in talks in order to
normalise their relationship.
"The United States welcomes the continued engagement
between Chad and Sudan to normalise relations as discussed
during meetings last week with Chadian Foreign Minister Moussa
Faki and Sudanese Presidential Advisor Dr Ghazi Salahuddin,"
State Department spokesman, Ian Kelly, said.
Kelly said US is encouraged by the decision of these two
neighbouring countries to implement their 2006 bilateral
"We urge the parties to fulfill their commitments and set
up an appropriate and effective border monitoring mechanism on
their shared border as soon as possible," he said.
US commends these steps and urges Chad and Sudan to push
forward with rapid implementation of the protocol, he said,
adding that the meeting scheduled for January 7, 2010 in
N`Djamena, Chad is a positive step towards implementation.
Full normalisation of relations, including the ending of
support for armed rebel groups on both sides, if fully
implemented, remains a key element in advancing the Darfur
Peace Process, he noted.
US is fully committed to peace in Darfur and supports
continued improvements in Chad-Sudan bilateral relations as
an important step in that process, Kelly said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog