US welcomes Chad-Sudan engagement
Washington: US on Wednesday hailed the decision
made by Chad and Sudan to engage in talks in order to
normalise their relationship.
"The United States welcomes the continued engagement
between Chad and Sudan to normalise relations as discussed
during meetings last week with Chadian Foreign Minister Moussa
Faki and Sudanese Presidential Advisor Dr Ghazi Salahuddin,"
State Department spokesman, Ian Kelly, said.
Kelly said US is encouraged by the decision of these two
neighbouring countries to implement their 2006 bilateral
"We urge the parties to fulfill their commitments and set
up an appropriate and effective border monitoring mechanism on
their shared border as soon as possible," he said.
US commends these steps and urges Chad and Sudan to push
forward with rapid implementation of the protocol, he said,
adding that the meeting scheduled for January 7, 2010 in
N`Djamena, Chad is a positive step towards implementation.
Full normalisation of relations, including the ending of
support for armed rebel groups on both sides, if fully
implemented, remains a key element in advancing the Darfur
Peace Process, he noted.
US is fully committed to peace in Darfur and supports
continued improvements in Chad-Sudan bilateral relations as
an important step in that process, Kelly said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad