US welcomes tougher EU sanctions on Iran
Washington: The US on Monday welcomed the new European Union sanctions on Iran, saying that this would further isolate the Iranian regime over its nuclear programme.
"The United States welcomes the adoption by the European Union of significant new sanctions of the Iranian government in response to the Iranian government`s continued violation of its international obligations regarding its nuclear programnme," said White House Press Secretary Jay Carney.
In his interaction with reporters, Carney said this latest EU move would continue to isolate Iran`s government.
"As you know, rallying the world to isolate Iran and increase the pressure on its leadership so that they stop pursuing a nuclear weapon has been a top priority for the president since the day he took office," Carney said.
"Thanks to that leadership, Iran is under more pressure than ever before," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Delhi University releases seventh cut-off list, admission process begins today
- Man dies in fire in Delhi's Hauz Khas
- Song alert! 'Besabriyaan' from Sushant Singh Rajput's 'M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story' OUT—Watch
- Thai junta rules out link between latest bombings and earlier deadly attacks
- 'Befikre' Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor's latest STILL will make you standstill!