US welcomes tougher EU sanctions on Iran
Washington: The US on Monday welcomed the new European Union sanctions on Iran, saying that this would further isolate the Iranian regime over its nuclear programme.
"The United States welcomes the adoption by the European Union of significant new sanctions of the Iranian government in response to the Iranian government`s continued violation of its international obligations regarding its nuclear programnme," said White House Press Secretary Jay Carney.
In his interaction with reporters, Carney said this latest EU move would continue to isolate Iran`s government.
"As you know, rallying the world to isolate Iran and increase the pressure on its leadership so that they stop pursuing a nuclear weapon has been a top priority for the president since the day he took office," Carney said.
"Thanks to that leadership, Iran is under more pressure than ever before," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister