US welcomes tougher EU sanctions on Iran
Washington: The US on Monday welcomed the new European Union sanctions on Iran, saying that this would further isolate the Iranian regime over its nuclear programme.
"The United States welcomes the adoption by the European Union of significant new sanctions of the Iranian government in response to the Iranian government`s continued violation of its international obligations regarding its nuclear programnme," said White House Press Secretary Jay Carney.
In his interaction with reporters, Carney said this latest EU move would continue to isolate Iran`s government.
"As you know, rallying the world to isolate Iran and increase the pressure on its leadership so that they stop pursuing a nuclear weapon has been a top priority for the president since the day he took office," Carney said.
"Thanks to that leadership, Iran is under more pressure than ever before," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards