US woman touting `vampire face-lifts` arrested
Long Beach: A woman who advertised "vampire face-lifts" and other cosmetic procedures she wasn`t licensed to perform was arrested after a suspicious death at a Southern California beauty salon, police said.
Licensed massage therapist Sandra Gonzalez, 45, remained jailed on USD 10,000 bail last night on suspicion of possessing a controlled substance. She was under investigation by homicide detectives with assistance from the California Medical Board and the Los Angeles County coroner`s office, Long Beach police said in a statement.
Hamilet Suarez, 36, was getting cosmetic injections Wednesday at Areli`s Barber Shop & Beauty Salon where Gonzalez rents a room when she went into cardiac arrest, police said. Paramedics arrived and took her to a hospital, where she was later declared dead.
Police would not immediately say what procedure Suarez was having done or what may have killed her.
"Until the report comes back from the coroner, we can`t determine if it was the procedure or if any drugs possibly administered caused her death," police Sgt Megan Zabel told the Long Beach Press-Telegram.
Investigators at the salon found medical equipment and controlled substances used for cosmetic procedures that Gonzalez was advertising but not licensed to perform, police said. They included "butt augmentation," ``lip augmentation," and "vampire face-lifts," where a gel-like substance derived from the patient`s own blood is injected to reduce wrinkles.
onzalez has been performing the procedures at the salon for about a month and may have been practicing previously elsewhere, police said. They urged any other patients to contact both police and their doctor.
Police did not know if Gonzalez had hired an attorney. After-hours phone messages left at the salon and a number listed in her name were not immediately returned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch