USD 1 million bail for suspect in US airport bomb threat
Jacksonville (Florida): A judge set bail at USD 1 million today for a man originally from Bosnia accused of telling security screeners at the Jacksonville International Airport he had a bomb in his backpack, prompting the evacuation of the airport. Authorities did not find any explosives.
Zeljko Causevic, 39, remained silent during his brief hearing before Duval County Court Judge Russell Healey on charges of making a false report about planting a bomb and possessing a hoax bomb.
According to a Jacksonville Sheriff`s Office arrest report, Causevic, a naturalised US citizen, approached a Transportation Security Administration agent yesterday, saying he had a device in his camouflage backpack that was "supposed to be a bomb, but it`s not." Inside the backpack, officials found a small luggage scale with two batteries and a microchip. He told authorities he had a "detonator," which was a remote control device, and his bag also contained a cellphone.
The Joint Terrorism Task Force interviewed Causevic and he was arrested.
The threat shut down the airport for about five hours last night, delaying outbound flights and stranding passengers on planes on the tarmac.
It was unclear whether Causevic was getting onto a flight, and authorities have not released a motive. The FBI, airport police and the Jacksonville Sheriff`s Office are continuing to investigate.
Phone numbers listed for Causevic were disconnected.
Another man who was acting suspiciously was arrested at the airport about the same time Causevic was taken into custody, but authorities said the arrests were not related.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today
- Chilli-based PAVA shells may replace pellet guns in Jammu and Kashmir