Uzbekistan frees top opposition leader: Relative
Tashkent: The jailed leader of ex-Soviet Uzbekistan`s political opposition has been unexpectedly released from prison, a relative said on Sunday.
Sanjar Umarov, head of the Sunshine Uzbekistan opposition movement, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison in 2006 by an Uzbek court for supposedly heading a criminal organisation and various economic crimes.
"Sanjar Umarov was released on Saturday. He is now feeling well. We are very glad," Nodira Hidoyatova, Umarov`s sister-in-law and political confidante said.
Details of the decision remain unclear and Hidoyatova declined to comment further, but the move comes after Brussels dropped the last of its long-standing sanctions against Tashkent, drawing the ire of rights groups.
Last month the EU lifted an arms embargo put in place after Tashkent`s refusal for an international probe into the killings of civilians during an armed uprising in the eastern province of Andijan in 2005.
Sunshine Uzbekistan was founded in 2004 and called on the United States to press for political reforms in Uzbekistan, considered one of Central Asia`s most authoritarian regimes.
But the group was best known for its vocal criticism of the government`s handling of the Andijan uprising, leading to speculation that his conviction was punishment for his political activities.
Umarov has always denied the charges against him and his case was condemned by international organisations, including the European Union, which expressed deep concern over the jailing of Umarov and other opposition figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now