Uzbeks attack Kyrgyz border post
Bishkek: Several hundred residents from the Uzbek enclave of Sokh Sunday attacked a Kyrgyz border guard base, reports said Monday.
The residents from the Uzbek village of Khushyar attacked Kyrgyz frontier guards who were erecting supports for electricity transmission lines in Kyrgyzstan`s Batken region.
The villagers tried to seize firearms from the guards, injuring some in the process.
The guards did not use their weapons.
Two vehicles were burned and a passing bus stopped and attacked.
Sources told AKI news agency that several passengers were taken hostage.
The Kyrgyz border guard service has declined to comment on the incident but media reports said Kyrgyz border service commanders arrived at the scene to negotiate with the Uzbek side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam
- Was Aamir Khan all set to do a 'Rustom'? Here's what we know so far
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too