Uzbeks attack Kyrgyz border post
Bishkek: Several hundred residents from the Uzbek enclave of Sokh Sunday attacked a Kyrgyz border guard base, reports said Monday.
The residents from the Uzbek village of Khushyar attacked Kyrgyz frontier guards who were erecting supports for electricity transmission lines in Kyrgyzstan`s Batken region.
The villagers tried to seize firearms from the guards, injuring some in the process.
The guards did not use their weapons.
Two vehicles were burned and a passing bus stopped and attacked.
Sources told AKI news agency that several passengers were taken hostage.
The Kyrgyz border guard service has declined to comment on the incident but media reports said Kyrgyz border service commanders arrived at the scene to negotiate with the Uzbek side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery