Uzbeks attack Kyrgyz border post
Bishkek: Several hundred residents from the Uzbek enclave of Sokh Sunday attacked a Kyrgyz border guard base, reports said Monday.
The residents from the Uzbek village of Khushyar attacked Kyrgyz frontier guards who were erecting supports for electricity transmission lines in Kyrgyzstan`s Batken region.
The villagers tried to seize firearms from the guards, injuring some in the process.
The guards did not use their weapons.
Two vehicles were burned and a passing bus stopped and attacked.
Sources told AKI news agency that several passengers were taken hostage.
The Kyrgyz border guard service has declined to comment on the incident but media reports said Kyrgyz border service commanders arrived at the scene to negotiate with the Uzbek side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH