Valerie destroyed my father’s image: Hollande son
London: The eldest son of French President Francois Hollande has publicly attacked the country’s First Lady, Valerie Trierweiler, accusing her of destroying his father’s “Mr Normal” image.
Thomas Hollande, a 27-year-old lawyer, criticised the manner in which the 48-year-old, has conducted herself since becoming the First Lady in May.
Trierweiler had caused outrage last month, when she tweeted her support for a politician standing against Segolene Royal in Parliamentary Elections.
Royal is the former partner of Hollande and the mother of their children – Thomas, Clemence, 25, Julien, 22, and Flora, 20.
Since the infamous tweet, the 58-year-old lost the election, seen her career all but ended, and been widely ridiculed across France.
This led to President Hollande speaking to each of his children individually about the saga, but they all told him that they never wanted to see Trierweiler again.
In comments to Le Point magazine, Thomas said that his father had been “devastated” by the tweet and it had “caused him a lot of pain”.
“I felt really sorry for my father,” the Telegraph quoted him as telling the magazine.
“He really hates it when people talk about his private life. It destroys the normal image he has built,” he said.
Hollande had banked upon the “Mr Normal” persona against Nicolas Sarkozy, dubbed the “Bling bling president” during the elections earlier this year.
Saying that he was “flabbergasted” by the devastating Tweet sent by Trierweiler, the young Thomas said: “I knew that something could come from her one day, but not this huge, it’s surreal.”
Thomas confirmed that neither he, nor his brothers and sister wanted to see Trierweiler again.
“It makes sense, right? And what’s important is that we normalise relations with our father,” he said.
Hollande said that Trierweiler’s dual role as a first lady and a journalist was too ambiguous.
“It’s a cause of instability,” Thomas said.
“Either she’s a journalist, or she has an office at the Elysee,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly