Valerie destroyed my father’s image: Hollande son
London: The eldest son of French President Francois Hollande has publicly attacked the country’s First Lady, Valerie Trierweiler, accusing her of destroying his father’s “Mr Normal” image.
Thomas Hollande, a 27-year-old lawyer, criticised the manner in which the 48-year-old, has conducted herself since becoming the First Lady in May.
Trierweiler had caused outrage last month, when she tweeted her support for a politician standing against Segolene Royal in Parliamentary Elections.
Royal is the former partner of Hollande and the mother of their children – Thomas, Clemence, 25, Julien, 22, and Flora, 20.
Since the infamous tweet, the 58-year-old lost the election, seen her career all but ended, and been widely ridiculed across France.
This led to President Hollande speaking to each of his children individually about the saga, but they all told him that they never wanted to see Trierweiler again.
In comments to Le Point magazine, Thomas said that his father had been “devastated” by the tweet and it had “caused him a lot of pain”.
“I felt really sorry for my father,” the Telegraph quoted him as telling the magazine.
“He really hates it when people talk about his private life. It destroys the normal image he has built,” he said.
Hollande had banked upon the “Mr Normal” persona against Nicolas Sarkozy, dubbed the “Bling bling president” during the elections earlier this year.
Saying that he was “flabbergasted” by the devastating Tweet sent by Trierweiler, the young Thomas said: “I knew that something could come from her one day, but not this huge, it’s surreal.”
Thomas confirmed that neither he, nor his brothers and sister wanted to see Trierweiler again.
“It makes sense, right? And what’s important is that we normalise relations with our father,” he said.
Hollande said that Trierweiler’s dual role as a first lady and a journalist was too ambiguous.
“It’s a cause of instability,” Thomas said.
“Either she’s a journalist, or she has an office at the Elysee,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!