Varsity defers conferring honorary degree on Obama
Johannesburg: The University of Johannesburg on Wednesday said it would put off giving an honorary degree to US President Barrack Obama to a future date.
The university is one of the largest comprehensive contact universities in South Africa, with nine faculties having more than 90 departments and an enrolment of some 50,000 students.
During Obama`s first state visit to South Africa on Saturday, the university was supposed to honour Obama with an honorary degree.
The decision came after the South African Students Congress, South African Communist Party, the Young Communist League of South Africa and others prepared to demonstrate against Obama`s visit.
They are against Obama being honoured, claiming he is responsible for masterminding wars in various parts of the world and killing innocents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India may approach Britain on bringing back Kohinoor
- HILARIOUS! Harbhajan Singh posts EDITED picture of Indian cricketers – Pic inside!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian captain to hit double century in away Test
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read