Varsity defers conferring honorary degree on Obama
Johannesburg: The University of Johannesburg on Wednesday said it would put off giving an honorary degree to US President Barrack Obama to a future date.
The university is one of the largest comprehensive contact universities in South Africa, with nine faculties having more than 90 departments and an enrolment of some 50,000 students.
During Obama`s first state visit to South Africa on Saturday, the university was supposed to honour Obama with an honorary degree.
The decision came after the South African Students Congress, South African Communist Party, the Young Communist League of South Africa and others prepared to demonstrate against Obama`s visit.
They are against Obama being honoured, claiming he is responsible for masterminding wars in various parts of the world and killing innocents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player