Varsity defers conferring honorary degree on Obama
Johannesburg: The University of Johannesburg on Wednesday said it would put off giving an honorary degree to US President Barrack Obama to a future date.
The university is one of the largest comprehensive contact universities in South Africa, with nine faculties having more than 90 departments and an enrolment of some 50,000 students.
During Obama`s first state visit to South Africa on Saturday, the university was supposed to honour Obama with an honorary degree.
The decision came after the South African Students Congress, South African Communist Party, the Young Communist League of South Africa and others prepared to demonstrate against Obama`s visit.
They are against Obama being honoured, claiming he is responsible for masterminding wars in various parts of the world and killing innocents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump rules out US presidential debate with Sanders
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2