Varsity defers conferring honorary degree on Obama
Johannesburg: The University of Johannesburg on Wednesday said it would put off giving an honorary degree to US President Barrack Obama to a future date.
The university is one of the largest comprehensive contact universities in South Africa, with nine faculties having more than 90 departments and an enrolment of some 50,000 students.
During Obama`s first state visit to South Africa on Saturday, the university was supposed to honour Obama with an honorary degree.
The decision came after the South African Students Congress, South African Communist Party, the Young Communist League of South Africa and others prepared to demonstrate against Obama`s visit.
They are against Obama being honoured, claiming he is responsible for masterminding wars in various parts of the world and killing innocents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next