Vatican appoints Protestant as scientific body`s head
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI named on Saturday Nobel laureate Werner Arber, a Protestant, to head the Vatican`s scientific academy, the first time a non-Catholic is heading the centuries-old body.
The 81-year old Swiss microbiologist will succeed Italian Nicola Cabibbo, who died in August, to lead the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Vatican announced in a press release.
The nomination of a non-Catholic head is the first in the history of the academy founded in 1603, according to I.Media, a news agency that specialises in religious information.
Arber, who teaches at the University of Basel, shared a 1978 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine with Americans Hamilton Smith and Daniel Nathans, for the discovery and application of restriction enzymes.
The discovery and application of the enzymes, which are bacterial defence mechanisms against infection, led to a revolution in molecular genetics.
Arber has been a member of the Vatican`s scientific academy since May 1981 and figures on the board of directors.
Some 30 Nobel laureates are members of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, which has its roots in the Academy of the Lincei founded by Federico Cesi, a patron of the arts and sciences who also promoted Galileo`s telescope.
The institute, which gathers 80 scientific researchers from around the world, studies six major areas including fundamental sciences, bioethics as well as environmental problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video